A Technical School began its operation at Weld Road, Kuala Lumpur in 1904 to teach Technical Assistants for the Federated Malay States Departments of Railways, Survey and Public Works. In 1941, the Technical School was elevated to a college status and in 1955, The Technical College was formed and officially opened by the British High Commisioner, Sir Donald MacGillivary. In its early years, the Technical College conducted engineering courses at diploma level in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical and Radio Engineering, Land Surveying, Building Architecture and Quantity Surveying.
A specialised course in Automobile Engineering was offered for the transportation enforcement officers. In 1960, the Technical College upgraded its engineering courses to the Baccalaureate level, where students following the courses had the opportunities to sit for professional examinations conducted by the Institution of Civil Engineers, the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, the Royal Institute of British Architects and Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors, UK. In 1972, theTechnical College was officially upgraded to university status with the name Institut Teknologi Kebangsaan (National Institute of Technology). Later, in 1975, the Institute was renamed as Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM).Today, UTM has two campuses. Its 1222-hectare main campus is located in Skudai, Johor Bahru, a technologically rich and culturally vibrant area in southern-most part of Malaysia. It is also strategically located in the Iskandar Development Region (IDR) which is to be a special economic growth centre of South Johor, apart from being the southern conurbation of Peninsular Malaysia. Its older 18-hectare branch city campus is situated at Jalan Semarak, Kuala Lumpur. Currently, UTM has 10 faculties offering undergraduate and postgraduate courses at Faculty of Built Environment, Faculty of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Chemical & Natural Resources Engineering, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Geoinformation Science & Engineering, Faculty of Computer Science & Information Systems, Faculty of Science, Faculty of Education, and Faculty of Management & Human Resources Development.
Currently there are about 17,500 full-time undergraduate students and 3,200 postgraduate students studying at UTM. The University comprises 1,877 full-time academic staff and 2,061 supporting staff. Having produced around 200,000 technical graduates and qualified professionals over the years, UTM has earned its place as Malaysia’s Premier University in Engineering and Technology.
UTM has 3 campuses – the UTM JOHOR BAHRU campus is in Skudai, Johor Bahru and was the first university in the state of Johor. It has an area of 1,222 hectares, located about 18 kilometers from the Sultan Ismail Airport of Johor Bahru, Malaysia. It is about 20 km north of the state capital, Johor Bahru.
The UTM KUALA LUMPUR campus is situated in Jalan Sultan Yahya Petra within Kuala Lumpur, with an area of 38 hectares. The branch campus accommodates diploma students, part-time students (also known as the SPACE program), undergraduate students (Malaysia-Japan International Institute of Technology) and foreign students taking business courses.
The new UTM PAGOH campus located in Pagoh was officially opened on 2nd May 2017. Universiti Teknologi Malaysia Innovation Centre in Agritechnology for Advanced Bioprocessing (UTM-ICA) is strategically located off the Pagoh interchange on the North-South expressway, in the district of Muar, Johor. A 50-hectare campus equipped with shared facilities integrated with Bandar University Pagoh.